How true (all points)...

John Usher
ICT Development Manager

Subject:    Re: Date Stamps - no, its *more* than datestamps!
Author: "Steven Heywood" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:       18/01/02 15:24

Like John says, it is about process and trying to get librarians to forget
current process and concentrate on desired outcomes and outputs is one of
those jobs that come just below root canal work in the fun stakes. I've
never much understood the idea of paying thousands of pounds for a library
management system then hobbling it by forcing it to work to Browne Issue
procedures (I've never worked in a Browne Issue library but I know the
procedures...)

The one problem with league tables (the view from my doorway suggests
OFFTROLLEY) is that the desired outcomes become the performance indicators,
not the service to the customer.

Steven