By and large customers do prefer to have their books date stamped.  We too
have self issue stations which print out a 'loan receipt' which includes
date due details.  We also provide a date stamper at the self issue
stations, for customers who wish to stamp their own date due - and we have
noticed that the majority choose to do this.

As to the other aspect of date labels - their use as a stock management tool
- I have to say that I am astonished that this debate is even taking place!
I find it quite unbelievable that in 2002, when just about every library
service is computerised, many do not properly use their access to the rich
data warehouse provided by the system.  Every computer system has the
potential to provide structured, detailed, evidence based stock management
data which can be used as a tool to guide staff on stock purchase and
withdrawal. Despite this potential, it seems that many libraries are still
pouring over old date labels totalling up loans - or perhaps just relying on
instinct.
Small wonder that the Audit Commission were so scathing about public library
stock management in their 1997 report ' Due for renewal'.  It would appear
that little progress has been made since then.

George Kerr
Support Services Manager
West Lothian Libraries

This message, together with any attachments, is sent subject to the following statements:

1.      It is sent in confidence for the addressee only.  It may contain legally privileged information.  The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other than the addressee.  Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality and to advise the sender immediately.
2.      It does not constitute a representation which is legally binding on the Council or which is capable of constituting a contract and may not be founded upon in any proceedings following hereon unless specifically indicated otherwise.

www.westlothian.gov.uk