Dear List Members,

I'm carrying out research on the Swiss healthcare system. As many of you
will know, health insurance must be purchased by all residents and is
community rated. To assist those on low incomes and certain families, the
Swiss receive means tested premium subsidies according to local cantonal
rules. In 2001, thirty two percent of the population received these
subsidies.

The Swiss also pay a minimum deductible ("franchise") of SwF 230 (c £100)
per year and beyond that pay for 10% of ambulatory care subject to an annual
threshold of SwF 600 (c£300). Does anyone know if these co-payments are
waived for the least well off? If not, is there evidence (such as that that
led the French to introduce universal cover (CMU) in 2000), that direct
payment for medical care discourages individuals from using healthcare
services?

Can anyone suggest materials that might help answer this question?

Ben

Benedict Irvine - Project Manager, Civitas Health Unit
Civitas: The Institute for the Study of Civil Society
The Mezzanine, Elizabeth House
39 York Road
London, SE1 7NQ
Tel: 020 7401 5472