Hello everyone,

Please excuse any multiple listings. We would like to invite you to
participate in a symposium  in honor of Othmar Tobisch. The symposium,
"Paleogeodesy: Unravelling displacement fields in magmatic arcs.  A
symposium in honor of Othmar Tobisch," will take place at the Cordilleran
Section meeting of the Geological Society of America on May 13-15, 2002 in
Corvallis, Oregon.   We will also hold an informal party for Othmar  during
one of the evenings at this meeting.

Othmar spent much of his career attempting to understand the tectonic and
magmatic evolution of arcs. One theme of this work was to explore the
geometries, kinematics and driving mechanisms of both orogen-scale
displacement fields in arcs and local displacement fields in and around
plutons. Today there is much interest in using geodesic data to evaluate
short-term (101 year) displacement fields in arcs and other tectonic
settings. But how do these compare to the long-term (104 to 106 years)
displacement fields preserved in ancient arcs? We welcome talks for the
Tobisch symposia on any aspect of this subject including: field, modeling,
or theoretical studies of displacement fields in arcs, comparison of modern
and ancient displacement fields in arcs, and integration of local and
regional displacement fields. For those that haven't worked specifically on
displacement fields, we'd also like to encourage talks that might be of a
more general nature focusing on magmatic systems or arc evolution, or how
arc development relates to regional tectonism. The length of talks may vary
from 15 to 30 minutes depending on the number of submitted abstracts.

If you would like to present a talk during this symposia and/or attend the
party for Othmar, please let one us know via email. We will contact those
interested in the party at a later time with further details. Also please
be aware that the abstract submission deadline is February 7, 2002.
Abstracts must be submitted electronically at
http://www.geosociety.org/sectdiv/cord/02cdmtg.htm.

        Please let us know if you have questions about any of these
activities.  We look forward to seeing you at the meeting,

Chairs:

Scott Paterson, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Southern
California, Los Angeles, CA, 90089-0740 [log in to unmask],
213-740-6103

Brendan McNulty, Department of Earth Sciences, California State University
Dominguez Hills, Carson CA 90747, [log in to unmask], 310-243-3412

Scott R. Paterson
Department of Earth Sciences
University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA  90089-0740