Since I have been contributing details of recent publications to the
'Current Awareness' section of EIA Update, the difficulty of tracking
down the 'free' publications has become increasingly apparent.  Finding
out from where to order a free publication is easily the most time
consuming part of the job!  I was wondering if others are finding this
to be the case or have any tips on how to do this easily!

There are 2 publications this month that are proving particularly tricky
to trace : The Council Guide: I Presidency Handbook (BX 42 99 001 EN C)
and Committee of the Regions 'Local Dimension of the European Employment
Strategy' ( GF 27 99 217 EN C).  Both are included in the EUR-OP online
catalogue and are listed as 'free' but with no clue as to where to get
them.  And, the institutions' web sites do not mention the publications
(usually the next best place to try).  I presume that you would simply
order them from the respective institutions but naturally I'm loathe to
put this in a publication in case it isn't true!

Whilst we all appreciate that publications are provided free of charge
by the EU, I would ask that may be EUR-OP could provide some very basic
information about where to get the publications in their database (I
know these publications are not their responsibility but it would be
helpful to all) or that the printed copy should have this information
clearly stated on it, as it does seem a very obvious thing that people
would like to know and would therefore benefit the producers of the
publication as well.  Some do provide this information and it is very,
very useful.

If any of you do have any views on this issue and/or can confirm the
availability of the 2 publications mentioned, please let me know.

Thanks very much.

Helen.
Helen Young
Information Librarian
(Law & Official Publications)
University of Leicester Library
PO BOX 248, University Road,
LEICESTER, LE1 9QD.
Tel: +44 116 252 2044/Fax: +44 116 252 2066