I've got a few belated comments to add to this discussion.

As I understand it, as with most UN Days, D3 is just the anniversary of the World Programme of Action Concerning Disabled Persons, declared when the General Assembly passed a resolution on
October 14, 1982.  No doubt they were lobbied by nongovernmental groups.

It preceded the International Year of Disabled Persons (1981).  It was followed by the Decade of Disabled Persons (1983-92) and the adoption of the Standard Rules (1993).

The UN reflects the tendency to use language describing action "for" or "concerning" disabled persons, and may use it in rooms that are inaccessible but IMO the UN still does some important
things.

Although a December date has disadvantages it also has advantages.  It is close to other UN days such as World AIDS Day (December 1),  International Day for the Abolition of Slavery
(December 2), International Volunteer Day for Economic and Social Development (December 5), and Human Rights Day (December 10).  In the States it's close to Bill of Rights Day (December 15)
and far enough away from the anniversary of the ADA (July 26) to have two observances the same year.

In 1999 and 2000 I did something intentionally small at the University where I teach.  Although I haven't done that much I do see a lot of potential.  In many countries the UN associations
are pretty strong, and my perception anyway is that some are in search of issues to deal with.

The area interests me a lot because it is one in which there is lots of "soft law" which shows signs of hardening.

Art

are now located at: