NEW NATIVE SERIES DEBUTS NEXT WEEK

The first new moon of Winter is the season of storytelling for many
Native American tribes. During this time, the elders traditionally
gather the tribe and pass on the accumulated wisdom of their collective
past in the form of edifying stories and legends. In that spirit,
WorldLink TV proudly introduces a new series, FIRST PEOPLES TV - 26
weeks of compelling and informative programs that tell stories by and
about the tribal peoples of the world.

Produced by DreamCatchers, a non-profit organization working to bring
Native films to a wider audience, FIRST PEOPLES TV includes
documentaries confronting fishing rights (LIGHTING THE SEVENTH FIRE, by
Sandra Sunrising Osawa), sacred sites (BACKBONE OF THE WORLD, by George
Burdeau) and religious freedom (THE PEYOTE ROAD, by Fidel Moreno). The
series will feature dramatic films dealing with government attempts to
destroy tribal cultures (WHERE THE SPIRIT LIVES, by Bruce Pittman) and
Indigenous political activism (TUSHKA, by Ian Skorodin).

Native actors, comedians and educators will be introducing each episode.
Hosts will include Benjamin Bratt (Law & Order, Blood In-Blood Out,
Pinero), Tantoo Cardinal (Legends Of The Fall, Black Robe, Dances With
Wolves), Steve Reevis (Geronimo, Last Of The Dogmen, Fargo), Elaine
Miles (Northern Exposure, Smoke Signals , RezRobics ) and up and coming
Apache funny man, Drew Lacapa. The one non- Native host will be
legendary historian of the world's religions, Huston Smith.

Don't miss this exciting television event - a new film will debut every
Thursday at 10PM ET, 7PM PT. We inaugurate the series with the film
below:

REASON TO FEAR
(Airing: Thursday, 1/17 and Sunday, 1/20 @ 10:00 PM ET / 7:00 PM PT)

"I heard that they had killed my sister... I thought ... they were going
to kill us all." -Hooty Croy

On the night of July 17, 1978 dozens of Northern California police
officers engaged in a gun battle with five Native American who had a
single .22 rifle. More than a hundred shots were fired. Three were
wounded. One police officer was killed. After spending eight years on
death row for first degree murder, Patrick "Hooty" Croy, of Shasta Karok
decent, was granted a retrial and eventually acquitted. His new defense
team, headed by J. Tony Serra, argued Croy acted in self defense and
gave supporting evidence of the genocide against California Native
Americans that has continued since the 1850's. This strategy, known as
the "cultural defense" was used to explain why Croy feared for his life
when he returned fire. Produced and Directed by Steve Patapoff.

For more information about REASON TO FEAR, and other films in the FIRST
PEOPLES TV series:
http://www.dreamcatchers.org/rezrobics/first_peoples_tv.html

For more information about Dreamcatchers: http://www.dreamcatchers.org)

To view clips of this film, or purchase a copy, please visit the
Intermedia site
http://www.reasontofear.com)

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
interest in receiving this type of information for non-profit research
and educational purposes only.

Join the "stop police abuse" list at
<
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stop-polabuse>

People Against Racist Terror (PART), PO Box 1055, Culver City, CA 90232
Tel.: 310-495-0299 E-mail: <
part2001@u...>
http://www.antiracist.org/issues.html>
Send for a sample of our quarterly print publication:
"Turning The Tide: Journal of Anti-Racist Action, Research & Education"

Free Mumia! End the racist death penalty!
Clemency for Leonard Peltier now!
Free Marilyn Buck, Mutulu Shakur, Oscar Lopez and all political
prisoners and P.O.W.'s in U.S. prisons!