In article <007901c19858$418e3fb0$b34e7ad5@tinypc>, s.carley
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>On the subject of string. I can never find any in the department when I want
>to use it, and anyway the stuff in the office is pretty thick. Someone
>suggested thread - but I am always concerned of going through the skin in
>the elderly. I have found an expensive alternative which is to pull the
>elastic out of the back of an O2 mask. Fairly strong, elastic, has a flat
>side and is always available. very effective if there is a bit of oedema
>distally as you can wind out the swelling from the tip of the finger.
>
>I apologise in advance to all those who hold equipment budgets.

Dental floss has been used - but again it is a bit thin

The technique of the reverse wind to reduce the oedema prior to removal
is very useful

I like the sound of the elastic because it is soft and broad - I will
have play if I can raid the sewing box!

Cheers :)
--
Jel Coward

The UK Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician  and Command Physician course is
10-16th November 2002 at Glenmore Lodge, Aviemore, Scotland

http://www.wildmedic.org
http://www.wemsi.org

'There's no such thing as bad weather - just bad  clothing"
                                                Anon Norwegian