From: Umberto Albarella [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 April 2002 13:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: feasting

Dear Paul,

If you are interested in Neolithic feasting (but no elderly castrates
I'm afraid, just young pigs!), this has just been published:

Albarella U. and Serjeantson D. 2002. A passion for pork: meat
consumption at the British late Neolithic site of Durrington Walls. In
P. Miracle and N.Milner (eds.). Consuming passions and patterns of
consumption. Cambridge: McDonald Institute Monographs.

There are other papers in that book that you could find of interest.

Cheers,
Umberto

-------------------
> I am interested in the representation of feasting within the
> zooarchaeological record. I am trying to find sites where there have
> been high proportions of elderly male or elderly castrated
domesticates,
> particularly the later, that may represent animals kept in a quest
for
> status by showing wealth. My main interest is in such assemblages
from
> prehistoric Great Britain but any information from any country or
period
> would be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks
> Paul Westron
>
>  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

Umberto Albarella
Dept of Archaeology
University of Durham
Durham DH1 3LE, UK