Dear List,

I am currently looking at an assemblage from a saxon site in London which
includes some goat horn cores. They are quite large (180mm basal
circumference and 200mm length along the front ridge). They curve from
anterior to posterior but have very little twist medio-laterally. The cross
section is oval with an anterior and posterior ridges the anterior more
pronounced. I have looked at photos and illustrations of modern breeds and
the bagot goat looks most similar but I believe that breed didn't arrive in
Britain until later in the medieval period.
Any ideas on whether this is a common type or breed for this period?

The context is a fill from a large pit and the date is mid 8th century.

Many Thanks

Sylvia Warman