I will shortly be updating my survey of search engines used in UK
Universities - see
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/surveys/uk-he-search-engines/

Thanks to everyone who has emailed me with updates recently.  If you
haven't done so, please check the entries and let me know of any
changes.

ht://Dig is still the most popular, followed by a Microsoft solution (no
changes there for a while.  In third place now is Google, which was not
available when the survey was initially carried out (and is, of course,
an externally hosted solution, with all of the implications that that
raises).

A couple of people expressed concern at not knowing the indexing
frequency of Google and of the difficulties in getting any response from
them.  Possibly as there are a number of Universities using Google,
including several large ones:

Bristol - Derby - Glasgow School of Art - Newport - Lampeter - Lancaster
- Leeds - Manchester Business School - Nottingham - Reading (also uses
ht://Dig) - Royal Veterinary College - South Bank - St Mark and St John
- Warwick (also uses ht://Dig)

It might be worth seeing if we can approach them en masse.

Another interesting tactic which one person mentioned was negotiating a
discount for a licensed package by threatening to move to a free
solution such as ht://Dig.  Others may be interested in this approach.

Brian
Brian Kelly
UK Web Focus
UKOLN