--On 22 April 2002 19:20 +0800 Chris Lord <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Does anyone know any content management software which runs on Macintosh
> client computers? We have just seen a demo from a company called
> SilverVizion which seems very good, and are wondering if there are
> alternatives.

I had a look at http://www.supportcc.com/Webcont.html
which is almost content free! It's not clear to me what
SilverVizion is - is it software (that you install) or
a remotely hosted service (that you use)?

There are many, many alternatives.

It depends how dirty you want to get your hands (which
translates to how much in-house support do you have?).

I would strenously avoid any CMS that doesn't offer
a browser-based interface (CMS client software is
OK but that shouldn't be the _only_ way of working).

So that leaves the server-side to consider. If
you're running MacOSX the choice is vast (if you
don't mind get your hands a bit dirty) and many
options have zero start-up cost.

One option is Zope:

http://www.zope.org/Members/jonms/MacOSXService

Another, also based on Zope, and a finished product
rather than a framework within which to construct your
own CMS, is EasyPublisher:

http://easypublisher.torped.se/english/

Within browser editing, workflow, roll-back, database
integration, etc, etc - probably everything a small
organisation needs to get started for 850 dollars
(unlimited users). The demo/personal edition is free.

I would recommend _anyone_ to try a couple of
free CMSs first before ever tangling with commercial
vendors - you're much less likely to be taken for
a ride if you have a feeling for what a CMS can do.

The above is the gist of a presentation I gave
at a recent conference at SBU.
See http://litc.sbu.ac.uk/cm/programme.html for
chapter and verse.

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: [log in to unmask]  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/