> >There's also the view of the browser vendors.  I know that Netscape
> >have stated that certain versions of Netscape are no longer
> supported
> >(in some cases due to security problems).
>
> And by that yardstick what versions of MS operating systems /
> browsers should be unsupported ?

Exactly the same principle.  The vendors will announce when their OSs
and applications are no longer supported (MS have made an announcement
of the date on which NT 4 will no longer be supported).

The Web was originally intended to be backwards compatible so that this
shouldn't have been an issue.   Sadly Tim BL hadn't planned for vendors
releasing flawed browsers and users finding it difficult/costly/ etc to
upgrade.

So we are back to the old world of planning migration strategies,
persuading users why we have to upgrade, etc.

An issue is whether we are proactive in this or react to what the users
do (e.g. our policy is "when NS 4.x is used by less than x% of users of
my Web site I'll use CSS").

Brian