I forwarded this to one of my collegues, and this was his response:

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:12:19 +0100
Subject: Re: [Security-support] fakedegrees.com (fwd)

Hi Kat,

Well, it is dodgy :-)  I've cross-posted the original email to the UK
security mailing list.  Andrew Cormack from JANET-CERT had this to say,

"As far as I can see the site is hosted in Arizona, but the domain
name
is owned by someone who claims to be in Barcelona, though I'm not
convinced by "Treehill St" as an address in either Catalan or Spanish.

I've a memory that faking a certificate for an institution that does
exist is illegal, but faking one that doesn't isn't, but for that
reference I need to check my wife's law book, rather than mine, and I
can't do that till tomorrow."

So, there may be a complaint from UKERNA but we'll have to see.