** Reply to note from Brian Kelly <[log in to unmask]>         Sat, 12 Jan 2002 10:31:42 +0000

Hi,

> I disagree.  This can screw up legitimate use of frames (e.g. Internet
> cataloguers who want to see you web site, and have their own cataloguing
> interface along side it.

Like Kat said I would doubt their legitimacy.  If a project was "legitimate",
say from the w3c or an HE body, I would be happy to include any "proprietary
or other" tag to allow them to display pages in a particular manner.

I am not prepared to scratch my head much over this, but I don't see it as
difficult to either achieve the same results with two windows of the browser
and Javascript or through the use of a CGI which could "pull" the page and
subsquently display it in a legitmate manner (a bit like betsie).

My latest experience is from this engine which has been indexing SOMiS quite
atively:
http://www.picsearch.com/
http://www.picsearch.com/search.cgi?num=16&adv=1&q=bath+duck&anim=no&color=both&size=1p&rp=same&pl=en
I was looking for a plastic bath duck on a white background.  See they got
one, click on the image of the duck with the blue sun glasses.

Admittedly, they do give options to close the frames and probably have one
of the more honest approaches ... but ...

> I'd also suggest someone gets in touch with JISC's Legal Information
> Service (Ralph Weedon at STrathclyde).

Agreed.

BTW.  If anyone can point me to a "legitimate" image that I could use on the
web of a bath duck I would appreciate  it.  (Problems some people have).

Regards
Charles

PS. <Bass target="_top"> does not work any way as I just inserted it on one
of my pages displayed there.

Charles Christacopoulos, Secretary's Office, University of Dundee,
Dundee DD1 4HN, Scotland, United Kingdom.
Tel: +44+(0)1382-344891. Fax: +44+(0)1382-201604.
http://www.somis.dundee.ac.uk/
Scottish Search Maestro http://somis2.ais.dundee.ac.uk/