Just to throw my 3 pence in ;-)

1) I thought that Comic Sans was the most readable font for most people,
it's just not popular because it's considered too informal.  On a web page
it has "this is my home page with pictures of my cat" connotations...

2) I think mixing font definitions in a style sheet is fine SO LONG AS
you're not mixing them in the body text.  A large Times Roman heading can
look very nice on top of block of arial.

3) I've always used the following font definitions, and never had a
problem with any of them not displaying:

.texta {font: 1em "Times New Roman", Times, serif;}
.textb {font: 1em Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;}
.textc {font: 1em Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;}

(Obviously, you change the size definitons as appropriate.)

Kat

  Dr Kat Street
  http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~ulzkls/