There has been a lot of study and concern about this issue in Canada, since
we use a huge amount of salt on our roads during our winter. I can't point
you to specific studies, but you might try searching some of the provincial
(and federal) government web sites - for example, http://www.mto.gov.on.ca
(Province of Ontario Ministry of Transportation - this site may be difficult
to access at the moment due to a strike of provincial workers) or
http://www.ec.gc.ca (federal Environment Canada).

Colin R. Leech - Transit Planner
Planificateur du transport en commun
OC Transpo - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada