Hi Gabrielle. About 10 years ago, Per Flood and I discovered that ink from
the cuttlefish, Sepia officianalis, made very nice stains of
appendicularian houses for macrophotography and videography. A dilute
solution of the real thing collected from a living cuttlefish worked the
best, but you can also make up an solution (or more precisely probably, a
suspension) of ink micro-particles from dried ink purchased from a supply
house. We published the method in Biological Bulletin and the fact that the
appendicularians actually ingested the ink particles in Nature. Anyway,
perhaps you might want to give Sepia ink a try for your larvae. Let me know
of your progress.

As an aside, a group of us here have just submitted a proposal to work on
natural limits to productivity of Newfoundland mussel farms. One of the
limits is ascidian biofouling. So, if we are funded next spring, we will be
studying ascidians at a couple of Newfoundland mussel farms. Don Deibel

At 02:45 PM 06/11/02 +0000, you wrote:
>hello tunicata list, i'm a new subscriber.

>studying a phd in marine invertebrate larval behaviour in relation to
>hydrodynamics and surface texture (e.g. boundary layer flrows, Reynolds
>numbers etc.)
>I'm going to be looking at larvae of several fouling species like bryozoans,
>barnacles, sponges, molluscs etc but i'm trying to focus mostly on the
>tunicates.
>
>i will be collecting my own samples of Ciona intestinalis, maybe also some
>Corellidae and Botryllus schlosseri.  As i need larvae i would be most
>grateful if anyone has information on rearing these guys in my laboratory
>aquaria?
>
>I'm going to be filming their behaviour but i'm led to believe that their
>larvae are transparent, which presents some technical difficulties!
>ideas include staining them (but of course the control would have to be
>unstained so i'll still need to be able to film those ones), staining their
>food (but are they lecithotrophic?), UV light, optical backscatter stuff etc.
>any ideas anyone?
>
>in the future i'll be setting up a web page of my work - maybe i can put a
>link to it on this website?
>
>thankyou
>gabrielle
>
>Gabrielle S. Prendergast