Dear Ulrich,

indeed, it's usual a problem to combine different groups and conditions in one mixed-effects analysis.
However, I have good experience with the 'Multiple regression without a constant' model. This was
an update by Karl Friston last year:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0104&L=spm&P=R8273&D=0

This model allows in the second level analysis to combine the different groups and conditions.
This model has the big advantage, that it allows you to create single contrast , i.e. [1 0 0 0 ...],
masking, and conjunctions between groups, for example.
Disadvantage of this model is, you have to create your own design matrix by entering
all columns of the design matrix (use the 'ones' and 'zeros' commands from matlab to make the life easier ...)

I hope, this model can solve some of your analysis problems.

Good luck

Karsten

----------------------------------
Karsten Specht