Dear Tor, Doug and others,

we did some fMRI measurements and simulations on the use of various ISI
distributions for detecting the main effect (its in Neuroimage
(14:1193,2001) if you want to have a look). Indeed, we found that the
exponential distribution was the best, both for detecting the response
and estimating the shape of the hemodynamic response (HDR).

These characteristics stems from the high variance associated with it
that leads to high t-values and hence a high detection power (see
Friston et al.,NeuroImage 12:196 2000) and also the FIR-model yields
high values for the "shape-estimator" (Dale, Human Brain Mapping
8:109,1999).

To put it in pictures: short ISI's lets the BOLD "build up" to high
levels (i.e. high detection power) while pauses in the event train lets
the BOLD come back to baseline again ( and hence the shape can be
estimated).

These slight empirical findings, based on simulations, only holds for a
linear time invariant system, and an HDR modelled by two gamma-functions
(the one SPM99 uses for the regressors). For a FIR-model it may be
different as Doug points out.

In the experimental setting, we also found high activations with other
ISI timings.

cheers
Gisela

--