Dear Jessica,

> Is there a website on this method? :) I still have a few questions--

I guess, there will be one, but I don't know yet.

> --- John Ashburner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Just do pretty much what the Good et al paper suggests:
> >
> > 1) Coregister early and late scans together.
> > 2) Segment one of these images.
>
> Should these images be already normalized to the SPM templates? (Does that
> mess up the volume preservation procedure later?)
> Or can SPM segment non-normalized images?

This is the special trick in the VBM method, presented by Good et al. that
you first segment the non-normalized images. SPM can segment non-normalized
images by normalizing the images internally, segmenting them and then
transforming these images back to the original space.
But usually, especially in segmenting non-normalized images, you have also
some voxels outside the brain. Therefore, the extract-brain option,
described in John's previous mail, is rather important at that point.
The idea behind this method is, to get a optimised transformation into the
MNI space, if you normalize only the masked seg1-image onto a grey-matter
template. So, you optimise your normalization by doing this especially for
the grey matter (and white matter, if you do the same thing also with the
seg2 image and a white matter template).
After applying this transformation to the non-normalized, non-segmented
original images, you have to segment these normalized images again. And
these resulting seg* images are the ones, you will use in the VBM analysis.

> > 3) Use the extract brain option to obtain a mask of brain tissue.
> > 4) Use Imcalc, selecting *_seg1.img, *_seg2.img and brain_*.img
> >         in order to generate cleaned up grey matter images by entering
> >         an expression like i1./(i1+i2+eps).*i3
> > 5) Estimate spatial normalisation parameters from this cleaned up grey
> > matter image by matching it to a grey matter template.
>
> Is it ok to use the apriori gray.img that comes with SPM99?

The best way is to construct your own template, but, especially in a study
with a growing number of investigated subjects, it should be okay, to use
the grey and white matter templates from the apriori directory. I have
rather good experiences by using that templates instead of creating an own
one.

----------------------------------
Karsten Specht

fMRI Section