I am attempting to normalize skull-stripped structural MRI images to
each other in such a way that I will be able to use the .mat
deformations to get at some deformation based morphometry. I am having
quite a bit of trouble getting the images to normalize correctly, and my
brains are getting cut-off, and in some situations are completely
outside of the bounding box, when I attempt to use increase the number
of basis functions. One suggestion that I had to get around this problem
was to normalize to a few basis functions before preforming a second
normalization in in an attempt tohave the starting points for my later
estimates, across other parameters, closer and have less chance for
error. The problem with this approach is that it requires a reslicing
upon each normalization, which as I understand, will add some smoothing
to my images. I know that the .mat file contains the information such
that the reslice is not nessisary, but I am wondering if I will be able
to use the .mat file as a starting point for a completely new
normalization...

 Is there a way that I can tell SPM to run 4x4x4 basis functions, and
keep the result as the groundwork for further normalization attempts?

 The documentation seems to be claiming that there is a way to do this,
but I have been unable to get such a thing to function.

 Beyond that, if anyone knows why my normalisation attempts are working
out so poorly and/or if there is a way to improve them, I would be in
eternal gratitude.

 Thank you very much for your help,
 Andrew Fox