Dear Colleagues,

We are almost ready to launch the website for the Fourth International Space Syntax Symposium. The final touches are being made now by our graphic designer. I hope that when you see it, you will agree that it has been worth the wait. I am about to take a short break and, as time is short, I have decided to release the text for the call for papers in advance of the website, which may have to wait for my return at the beginning of August. This will give everyone as much time as possible to work towards the deadline for submission of abstracts at the end of September. We are arranging for flyers to be produced in an attractive format giving details of the symposium and the call for papers. If you would like me to send you some, so that you can distribute them to your colleagues, please email me the number of flyers you require and the address you would like them sent to, and I shall dispatch them upon my return to work. A poster will be produced in the autumn, and the information on our website will be updated regularly as our plans swing into action. I am looking forward to receiving many exciting contributions to the symposium in the coming weeks. Please feel free to email me with any suggestions for additional events that you would like incorporated. Remember, I am at your service and will try to do everything in my power to ensue that we have an informative and enjoyable event in June 2003. Events will move swiftly from now on, stimulated I am sure, by the development of the programme of events from this initial call for papers into a stimulating and action-packed agenda. May I take this opportunity to wish you all a pleasant and productive summer.

Best Wishes, Julienne

The Fourth International Space Syntax Symposium will be held from Tuesday 17th June to Thursday 19th June 2003 at University College London. The aims of the symposium are:
1) to bring together members of the space syntax community to hear presentations of recent work and to take part in discussions of theoretical and methodological issues; and
2) to exchange ideas and research with neighbouring disciplines in the pursuit of common research goals through a series of themed interface sessions. Each themed session will feature at least one invited speaker, and an invited review paper.

It is expected that about two thirds of the Symposium will be devoted to the mainline sessions, and about one third to the themed interface sessions.

The Symposium will be preceded by a celebration of Bill Hillier's 66th birthday on the evening of Sunday 15th June and by three optional Workshops on the afternoon of Monday 16th June:
1) Software
2) Space Syntax Explained
3) Teaching Space Syntax

In addition to the formal schedule of events, optional additional events have been planned for the three evenings of the main symposium:
1) Space Syntax in Practice, evening of Tuesday 17th June 2003
2) Conference Dinner, evening of Wednesday 18th June 2003
3) "London Eye" to the "Millennium Bridge" Tour, evening of Thursday 19th June 2003

CALL FOR PAPERS

The organisers of the Symposium are therefore making a general open call for under two headings:

1) First for papers using space syntax and related methodologies and theories for research or design related investigation in the main areas of syntax and syntax related research:

- Computational methods and formal descriptions
- Spatial and/or functional analysis at the urban level
- Spatial and/or functional analysis at the building level
- Domestic space
- Work and organisational environments
- Society and space
- Configurational and compositional studies
- Research and design practice
2) Second for papers from outside as well as inside the space syntax community on research relevant to one of the special 'interface' themed sessions:

- Urban scales and their inter-relations
- The dwelling and its inhabitants
- Embodied societies
- Embodied  minds and the extra-somatic world
- Computing, communications and space
- From research to practice and back
- Analytic theories and design

NOTE: these headings are for guidance only. Papers which fall outside these heading will be welcomed.

SUBMISSION FORMATS

Contributors are invited to submit an Abstract of about 600 words, written in English and, if accepted, a completed Paper of between 3-5,000 words. Abstracts and papers will be blind-refereed and selected by an international committee. Abstracts must be received by 30th September 2002. Successful submissions will be notified by post / email at the beginning of November 2002. Completed papers must be received by 31st January 2003 if they are to be included in the printed Proceedings.  Information about the formatting instructions required for finished papers will be issued together with the notification of successful submissions. Copies of abstracts and should be emailed to [log in to unmask] or sent by post to Professor Julienne Hanson, Bartlett School of Graduate Studies, (1-19 Torrington Place Site) University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT.
Work in progress can be submitted as Short Papers of between 1-2000 words that will also be displayed in a Poster Exhibition which will be held during the Symposium. The deadline for short papers is 31st January 2003. Further details and instructions for the presentation and display of posters will be released early in 2003.

VENUE

The Symposium will be held in new purposed-designed conference facilities at UCL's Institute for Child Health at 30, Guildford Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1N 1EH. The suite comprises a registration desk, two lecture theatres, a spilt level open balcony and winter garden, a range of satellite rooms and two function rooms. The conference venue will be open on the afternoon of Monday 16th for delegates to register and for the hanging of Posters

For information about all these events, see the Space Syntax Symposium website at spacesyntax.org.uk. To keep up to date with recent developments in space syntax join the Space Syntax mailbase at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/archives/spacesyntax.html