Hi,
I'm currently anglican chaplain at the University of Central England, Birmingham. I've lived in London, Luton, Nottingham, Derby and now Brum.  I'm hoping to spend some time ("field research") in Canada.

Having finished an MA in Islamic studies (dissertation on the medieval christian understandings of Islam - from Cluny to Luther) I thought I'd better go on to do a PhD.  I wanted to do some sociology and have some fun, and when I discovered the concept of "soul riding" within snowboarding, I thought I'd have a go at looking at the "spirituality of snowboarding" from a sociological perspective.  I've managed to find some supervisors, and to get the project approved by the university research degrees committee.  I'm now working on some pilot interviews (I'm taking a phenominological approach) and developing my methodology.  I have more general research interests in religions/spirituality in Postmodern culture.

I'm enjoying discovering the soc rel peer group and look forwrad to the discussions on this list

Neil