Subject: RE: Learning and Teaching programmes and the NQF

Following on from Rachel's comments (see below), we are currently exploring
how we can run a workshop session to look at this issue at the ILT day
conferences for Course leaders of ILT accredited programmes in May. I hope
we will be able to run a suitable workshop session. If we can, details will
be in the final programme.

Please note that this seminar will also be open to course leaders of
programmes that are not accredited by the ILT for a small fee.

Sally Brown and Caroline Bucklow

-----Original Message-----
From: Rachel Hudson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 4:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]

The University of Bath faces a similar challenge to the one descibed below
by Steve. Our programme is ILT accredited, but is not (yet) linked to a
higher education qualification. I have talked to Caroline Bucklow at the ILT
about this, and was informed that I am the first person so far to have asked
for guidance on this issue. She suggested that if there is sufficient
interest, a possible forum for discussion might be the ILT regional
conferences. I have circulated a number of research-led HE institutions me
and my impression is that only a few of these institutions have mapped their
ILT accredited programmes against the HEQF level descriptors so far. Of
these, most have gone for the M level descriptors, but one has gone for 'P'
for Professional, because the 'M' level descriptors were perceived as being
more appropriate for a programme of academic studies than for one relating
to professional practice. NB 'P' does not figure in the QAA framework. I for
one would certainly welcome more guidance.

Best wishes
Rachel