From: Martin Counihan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 September 2002 21:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Sci-3L

I am very grateful to everyone who responded to my query about public outreach work which Sci-3L members are involved in other than providing credit-bearing courses.  There have been some extremely interesting responses.  Let me attempt a crude summary:

(1) Non-credit-bearing courses have been disappearing.

(2) Credit-bearing science programmes for the public are flourishing in a few universities, but it is notable that the best examples are in the environmental sciences  involving locally-based fieldwork rather than in other kinds of science.

(3) Other (non-course) lifelong learning activities seem to take place only on a rather limited scale, although the examples that were mentioned (e.g. by Bobby Cerini) are very interesting. On balance it seems to me to be remarkable that other forms of public outreach were hardly mentioned - for example, writing books or making radio programmes.

Incidentally, a couple of days ago I received a link to a new report, "Dialogue with the public: practical guidelines" which I have passed on to this list in a separate mailing. It is all about dialogue/consultation activities.  Apart from Asher Minns, I wonder if anyone else in Sci-3L is into that sort of thing?

Would it be fair to say that, although some colleagues are running successful credit-bearing programmes (mainly in local environmental science), we have still not collectively arrived at an effective new post-liberal paradigm for our work?

I would be interested in any response you may have, particularly if you disagree with my summary!

Martin Counihan
University of Southampton