Hello Shimon,

Tire friction is typically characterized in terms of SN (Skid Number). A lot
of testing work was done during the Œ70s to measure tire characteristics.

UMTRI¹s on-line library catalogue
(http://www.umtri.umich.edu/library/simple.html) is always a good start in
finding such information. The following two documents that I looked at
contain data that are likely to be useful for you:

(1) Hayes, G. G.; Ivey, D. L. 1975. Texture, skid resistance, and the
stability of automobiles in limit maneuvers. Texas Transportation Institute,
Highway Safety Research Center, College Station. 13 p. Rose, J. G., ed.
Surface Texture Versus Skidding: Measurements, Frictional Aspects, and
Safety Features of Tire-Pavement Interactions. A Symposium. Philadelphia,
ASTM, July 1975, p. 127-139. UMTRI-32801 A10

(2) Gallaway, B. M.; Rose, J. G. 1971. Comparison of highway pavement
friction measurements taken in the cornering-slip and skid modes. Texas
Transportation Institute, College Station. 16 p. Highway Research Record,
No. 376, 1971, p. 107-122. Sponsor: Texas Highway Department, Austin;
Federal Highway Administration, Washington, D.C. UMTRI-50676 A20

The page http://www.umtri.umich.edu/library/publications.html provides
information on how to obtain copies of documents.

Good luck,
Zevi Bareket.

Zevi Bareket                                       2901 Baxter Rd.
Sr. Research Associate                       Ann Arbor, MI  48109-2150
Engineering Research Division           Phone: (734) 936-1067
Transportation Research Institute     Fax:     (734) 936-1068
University of Michigan                      e-mail: [log in to unmask]
                   http://www.umtri.umich.edu/