Steve

Lynn Sleath has already provided information on the New Zealand study, but unfortunately the others are not available electronically. The references to the Australian studies are:

Economics of Road Vehicle Limits Study done from 1974 to 1976 by the National Association of Australian State Road Authorities (NAASRA), now Austroads;

The Review of Road Vehicle Limits Study, also by NAASRA in 1985; and

The Mass Limits Review undertaken by the National Road Transport Commission from 1994 to 1996. Copies of the work of this project (6 reports in all) are available from NRTC (see www.nrtc.gov.au)  We may be able to provide an electronic copy of the Executive Summary if you want.

As far as benefits go, an order of magnitude can be gained by looking at a task of 1000 tonnes over 1000 kms undertaken by our Australian 6 axle articulated vehicles. For pavement costs alone a simple calculation can be done at a cost of 3.5 cents per ESA km. The value comes from the reduction in the fleet necessary for the task. The vehicle cost increases from (say) $1.50 to $1.55 per kilometre for the extra 3 tonnes payload. The figures below do not include return travel (double the savings) or bridge costs but you should be able to see the trend.

             Pre increase

             Post increase

            steer
             6
             6

            drive
             16.5
             17

            triaxle
             20
             22.5

            ESAs
             5.06
             6.15

            tare
             16.5
             16.5

            gross
             42.5
             45.5

            payload (tonnes)
             26
             29

            task (tonnes)
             1,000
             1,000

            trips
             38.46
             34.48

            costs

            distance (kms)
             1000
             1000

            ESA kms
             194,489
             212,191

            unit cost ($)
             0.035
             0.035

            total cost
             $6,807
             $7,427

            increased cost

             $620

            benefits

            total travel (kms)
             38,462
             34,483

            unit cost (per km)
             $1.50
             $1.55

            total cost
             $57,692
             $53,448

            total savings

             $4,244

            B/C

             6.85

I am dealing here only with the pure financial aspects of a mass limit increase, not the political aspects about how to charge for the additional costs etc. I agree that they are difficult issues but it needs to be clear that, in most cases, the benefits of more productive trucks will exceed the costs. Savings in fossil fuels, gaseous emissions and other environmental benefits are also be to had. The main problem is that the road agency pays and the community benefits through lower prices. If a more productive (and significantly safer) configuration such as a B-train could be introduced, the benefits are even greater.

Cheers

Bob Pearson

Pearsons Transport Resource Centre P/L
PO Box 421