Michael

Cannot add to the NAASRA specification (I was involved in Victoria in
looking at the spec's at that time) except to comment that there have been
significant changes in workplace safety requirements since 1987.

Based on actual tests I have done with heavy vehicles, I know that a 3%
slope is sufficient for a heavy vehicle to start rolling if the brakes come
off - can start moving below that figure.

Suggest that either the slop be decreased to say 2% or alternately details
of a safe system of work that will prevent the vehicle rolling while being
inspected and/or weighed are included in the guidelines.

Regards

John Lambert
MIEAust, CPEng 180 785
Bachelor of Engineering (University of Melbourne), ARMIT (Mechanical)
235 Wandana Drive, Wandana Heights, Victoria, 3216 Australia
Phone: [61 3] 5249 1228
Fax: [61 3] 5249 1146
Mobile or cell phone: 0417 033 258
Email: [log in to unmask]