Dear research colleagues,

I have a question/request on how to deal with a new type of contract between
goverment/province/municipal and the contractor in which the contractor
remains responsible for the maintenance of the road for a certain period
(which is shorter than the design life).

1) We ask the contractor to design and construct a road for let say 25 years
design life.
2) We require a certain value for a specific parameter(s) (functional
requirements)
3) After construction we measure this value
4) The contractor remains responsible (maintenance) for the road for a
certain period which is shorter than the design life let say 10 years.
5) After 10 years the governmental authorities measure again the value of
the specfic parameter(s)
6) If the increase (or decrease) in value for this parameter is below (or
above) a certain value the contractor has fulfilled his contract
(discharged) and the road authorities take over the responsibility for the
maintenance of the road.

The risk that after 12 years large maintenance repairs appear to be
necessarily in stead of 25 years is for the roadauthority.
At this moment we have a complete prototype of this process for flexible
pavements (including semi-rigd pavements). Nevertheless information on the
performance of such processes in other countries is still very welcome.
My question/request is focussed on rigid pavements (concrete slabs;
reinforced concrete etc). In the Netherlands the majority of the roads are
flexible pavements and only a few are really rigid pavements. Therefore we
don't have the knowledge/experience which specific parameter(s) should be
chosen for the judgement of the rigid pavement just after construction and
after e.g. 10 years if the road authority want to take over the
responsibility of the contractor. For flexible pavement we have developed a
system /process based on deflections (in and out the wheel track) measured
with the FWD. Still there will be yet unknown risks but we really want to
try out this type of contracts leaving more responsibilities to the side of
the contractor. However, we feel that the deflection will not be an
appropriate parameter in case of a rigid pavement.

Dear colleagues, do you know anyone in your organisation or outside who is
familar with this type of contracts and has experience with the process
(jurispendency; risks et) especially for rigid pavements.
If so please send me his/her address/E-mail etc. so I can contact him or if
yo have any information about published papers please E-mail them to me

Thanks in advance
Ad Pronk
FEHRL Res.Coord.-NL
Road &Hydraulic Eng. Div.