From: IS Edit [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Saturday, 21 September 2002 9:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Use of Portable Scales for Overload Control Law Enforcement

Hi, Michael.

This is slightly peripheral to the matter you raised but might be of some
use.

I don't know if you are aware of the Culway system which is widely used in
Australia.

It is a network of fixed loops placed over Culways and such places for more
accurate readings. It records heavy vehicles, their configuration, axle
weights, speeds etc. The guts of the system is contained in innocuous green
metal cabinets at the roadside. I haven't focussed on that system in years
but I believe that at least some of the units provide data to head office in
real time now.

Culway provides intelligence on which our state road authorities make
decisions about where there is an overloading problem so they can deploy
their portable scales to maximum effect, or open their fixed weighbridges.

It would also be simple to hook up those sensors to speed type cameras to
record truck number plates which could be correlated to the weight readings
of individual trucks. That would certainly make it easy to pinpoint habitual
offenders and give you some selective targetting for your scalies.

There are some guys on here who are far more up to date on Culway than I but
at least you have a key word now, if you didn't before.

Cheers,

Bob Murphy
IS Edit Transport & Technical Communications
PO Box 111
Campbells Creek VIC 3451
AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61 3 5476 4408