In an interview in Sunday's Observer with Ms Dynamite, the young black urban musician who recently won the Mercury music prize, she makes an interesting point about looking for black scientists as role models for kids.  In response to a question about her black heroes she says:

"I would have to choose someone who was important as a scientist.  I think that's very important.  You don't get to see a lot of black scientists, especially in this day and age.  I wasn't told of any when I was at school.  And I think lots of black kids would want to be scientists, but they never get examples of someone who has done it before".  [Her other choices are Nelson Mandela, Malcolm X and Rosa Parks].

A thoughtful response, but it's a shame that there's no-one with a high enough profile that she can name.

Full article is at http://www.observer.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,796331,00.html

Regards
Louise

++++++++++++++++++
Louise Simon
Information Officer
Wellcome Trust Library for the History and Understanding of Medicine
183 Euston Road
London NW1 2BE
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7611 7316
Fax: +44 (0)020 7611 8726
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The Wellcome Trust is a registered charity, no.210183.
Its sole Trustee is the Wellcome Trust Limited, a company
registered in England, no. 2711000, whose registered office
is 183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE.

Have you visited psci-com, the searchable database of quality internet resources on the public understanding of science?  Click on http://www.psci-com.org.uk

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk