On 2002.07.31 19:01 Pilch wrote:
> Can I just say - THANKS - to everyone for their flurry of ideas.  I've
> now
> got a whole host of ideas to follow up and no doubt I'll be contacting
> many of you off list (to the point where you wish you never got
> involved!).
>
> This has been interesting as producers from the very different worlds of
> science and light entertainment don't quite 'get it' - leaving me with
> two
> possibilities.  That what I have written is hopelessly 'not funny', or
> that people are quite set in their ways as to what comedy can be about,
> and
> what constitutes a science show.

The asteroid scare story from last week was a good example of
science being used as the vehicle for a particularly British form of
fatalist
humour.
Many people didn't get the joke and got angry about the lack of
rigourous science in the stories.  Regardless of the probability of
collision
the crucial factor that triggered the reporters was the nearness in time
(2019) of the event - within most of our lifetimes and perhaps too close
to prevent through technology.
This allowed reporters to indulge  in light-hearted (and salacious)
doomsday
scenarios and bar-room eschatology on what was probably a quiet news day.

I think it was a (rare) example of science being used as the medium
   rather than the message by the popular press.

   -Andrew

send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com nomail

2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:

set psci-com mail

leave psci-com

4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive,
can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.org.uk