Re: A Responsibility to Awe> From another viewpoint he's sternly moral, terrifyingly so; I mentally link him with Ed Dorn.

Yes, that's quite right, and probably part of what made him so important to me when I read him. Hyper-moral, with all the dangers that implies (woe betide "conventional" morality in the face of those sharpened imperatives). His best books, though, are precisely the ones where even that is questioned, and in the late writings where he starts to let go, to feel (as I think he did feel, very acutely) the tragedy of it all.

Dominic