the trouble is that Blair has put the S back into shit.  But it goes beyond
that to a cultural null that makes the Thatcher era look like an oasis, a
Renaissance of creativity, and the Spice Girls her Michaelangelo.  Not only
has the dismal mind of Blair created war in Afghanistan, but is now
shuffling the cards with Iraq.  After a while I realised that the Big
Brother message of all this is ´hey, you may have been sent to sleep during
the ´90s, but the world is, after all - and it isn´t as if I haven´t been
moaning on about it over and over again, tirelessly - a serious and
dangerous place, told you so..na, na´.   If Blair could find a brain, he
would be, as the cliche goes, dangerous.  And out of all this - does the
word ´bollocks´ really sum it all up? - poets and artists won´t submit to be
political or committed - in case the grant funding drys up.  This was the
conclusion of one poet at the john Hewitt Summer School in August - it has
been obvious for some time.  Actually artists had this same problem way
back- as the conscience of humanity they often had to face poverty in order
to say what they had to say.  Read Hobsbawm´s ´Age of Revolutions´ for this,
a worthy enough tome, although sickened by facts and dates, he gives us some
anyway.  The analysis is that history is not the biography of great men.
For all that, as Hobsbawm writes, Robespierre was not a great man, but,
thankfully, as Hobsbawm would have it, Hobsbawm is! PM