>See rec.genealogy.britain  - is this a URL or a journal? - for analysis of Patricia Cornwell's programme.

>Not complimentary.

I thought that PC's view of the killings as encompassing an aesthetic of some kind was leading her on the right tracks, I think the Sickert theory is very shaggy indeed though.  Clearly the crime scenes were left in such a way as to be photographed, it was already apparant in the mind of the murderer that he (or she) was going beyond murder into a definable aesthetic (of horror) for the voyeur.  This code, if you like, is already set up for the spectator, very importantly, you see (or fail to?).  And, of course, the murder has been filmed many times, many books dwell on that aesthetic without going one step further to see that that was defined at the time by the murderer as part of the ensuing fascination.  So, the murderer knew something about the appeal of voyeurism (and of the attendant scopophilia, which is part of the gory aesthetic of the police photos - the killings were committed in the era of photography).  The first thing one wants to ask when viewing the photos is, Christ what kind of human being could have done this?  And I think the answer is someone who had wide experience of killing people beforehand, who was impeturbable and unshockable, and who had a strongly developed (though not as developed as an artists, if they had they would clearly have been an artist!) 'aesthetic' sense, in a kind of wrong and perverted way.  To me this points to someone who had been in the army.  But also in other directions too.

>Douglas Clark, Bath, England mailto: [log in to unmask]
>Lynx: Poetry from Bath .......... http://www.bath.ac.uk/~exxdgdc/lynx.html
>
>On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Douglas Clark wrote:
>
> > I was told about Patricia Cornwell's Walter Sickert in the
> > pub and I want impressed very much. From the few facts about
> > the Ripper it is easy enough for someone to develop a pet
> > hobbyhorse and promote it. The more interseting talk was about
> > John Lelie, Angus DEayton etc and how they had seemed to lose
> > touch with reality.
> >

> > Douglas Clark, Bath, England mailto: [log in to unmask]
> > Lynx: Poetry from Bath .......... http://www.bath.ac.uk/~exxdgdc/lynx.html
> >
> > On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, paul murphy wrote:
> >

> > > I think you're being a bit self-pitying.  I don't even have a local pub,
> > > well I do, but its just full of UDA men and other hoodlums to countenance
> > > going into very often.  And you have an aloof cat, my God your lucky.
> > > Its years since we had an aloof cat, I'm just so pestered with their
> > > chatter and meaningless small talk, often ruminating over tales of
> > > half-eaten mice and catspiss on neighbour's cars.  Bipolar depression is
> > > also clinical depression, I'm surprised you didn't know that?  Alcohol is
> > > definitely not recommended on top of bipolar depression, but if you want
> > > to feel really depressed about the state of humanity, why not obtain a
> > > video of last nights investigation into the 'true' identity of Jack the
> > > Ripper.  After 10 minutes of watching Patricia Cornwell's luxury flats,
> > > fast cars, rolex watches etc etc, you'll want to relax into a warm grave.
> > >
> > > all best you know whats,
> > >
> > > Paul Murphy

> > > http://www.bath.ac.uk/~exxdgdc/lynx.html

> > > Internet access plans that fit your lifestyle -- join MSN. Click Here

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN. Click Here