on 10/19/02 1:07 AM, Frederick Pollack at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Árni Ibsen wrote:
>>
>> Frederick,
>>
>> This caught me unawares. Thank you for posting it. And I know VAN HOUTEN'S
>> COCOA only too well from my own childhood. So good to have a reference that
>> means something.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Árni
>>
>> --
>> Árni Ibsen
>> Stekkjarkinn 19,
>> 220 Hafnarfjördur,
>> Iceland
>>

> Dear Arni,
>
> The detail about Mayakovsky, as a young poet (technically a Futurist -
> tho' the Russian Futurists were rather different from Marinetti's
> group), imagining he would jump into the Neva yelling that slogan, was
> taken directly from his pre-WW1 poetry.
>
> The other day I picked up Halldor Laxness's "World Light" [Heimsljos],
> Magnus Magnusson translation.  Nice new paperback editions of his work
> are coming out here, w/ good intros by Sven Birkerts.  I'm enraptured by
> this novel - unusual tone, outlook.
>
> Speaking of novels, wonder if anyone out there has read Camilo Jose Cela
> - esp. The Hive (La Colmena).  Recommend highly.

I read that! The Hive, yes. Years and years and years ago. And another novel
of his that I liked even better, as I recall. Something picuaresque, as I
recall, about rural men. And the dark. Couldn't recall the title, even if
threatened with death. Ah, but WORLD LIGHT! My favourite. It' the proper
treat of a lifetime. A gem of a novel, especially for poets, as it's about
THE poet. Laxness said, that since he had already written about fish and
entrepeneurs and what-have-you, he had to complete the cycle by writing a
novel about THE POET.

Happ¥ reading!

Best

Árni