  From: Ivy
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 6:13 PM
  Subject: Re: 9/11 by Robert Pinksy

  Dear All,

  Sorry, I agree with Lawrence. Oh dear. A good effort but not, I'm afraid, a memorable poem.

  Last spring I had a very interesting discussion with my students regarding "September 1, 1939" in light of September 11. Why is it that Auden's poem is still so resonant- and captures the mood of both Septembers?

  Yours,

  Ivy