> I raised it out of genuine confusion over your denial ("I never said
> anything to denigrate the arts of news-writing"), which left nobody to pin
> your pork pies on except, possibly, poets (perish the pork!).
>
> Haven't you just been admonishing Erminia on this very score (i.e.,
standing
> by one's words)?
>
> Candice

Flippin 'ell, Candice. Below is my original post, interpret it at will. As
for my _admonishing_ Erminia, are we talking about the same person here? The
same Erminia who has been happily insulting me all day on this list
(remember the 'no personal abuse' rule?) I'm amazed, I really am. Not angry,
but, to use that vulgarism, 'gob-smacked'.

Obviously the fact that she's been merrily comparing me and my writing to a
pile of shit, telling me I have no business speaking on any lists etc is
entirely my fault and yet another example of my terrible behaviour.

Aston Villa have just gone 2 up in as many minutes against Man Utd in the FA
Cup. There is some justice in the world.

Best

Dave

> You might find Hans Magnus Enzenberger's comments on Stern in his
> book of essays _Mediocrities and Delusions_ interesting (apart from
> anything else, he's always a pleasure to read).  He makes the same
> comment about media proprietors being more savvy about media theory
> than the students protesting against it.

Thanks for reminding me about that, Alison, I still recall coming across
HME's book one day in Leicester Library, I read it standing up without
taking it out on loan, and, Chris,  I've no doubt about the accuracy of your
observations about L.Murdoch. I think, or rather suspect, that one of the
pifalls that language-centred persons, as poets tend to be, is that we
instinctively feel that those who use language like a soggy pork pie, circa
British Rail 1946 not sold until 199-something, after travelling the lengths
and breadths (notice those clever 's's, to avoid the cliché) must therefore
be our intellectual inferiors.
But of course they're not. They are 'savvy' people. They just don't share
our values.

Nor their private pork pies, which are much fresher!

(NB 'pork pies' means ....)

Best

Dave

David Bircumshaw

Leicester, England

Home Page

A Chide's Alphabet

Painting Without Numbers

www.paintstuff.20m.com/index.htm

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.bircumshaw/index.htm

wrote:

> > _Some_, and I emphasise the 'some', provincial British journalism can
> > deserve the description (probably some poets too I guess) But I was
anxious
> > to point out that I didn't mean all.
> >
> > Candice, please, why have you raised this?
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > David Bircumshaw
> >
> > Leicester, England
> >
> > Home Page