 "...gender essentialism is a diversion from looking at how our actions
are shaped by our cultural histories and our bigotries."

I agree Christopher, (I think!) and offer the following poem as an
example of a poetic response - an _action_ shaped, not by gender, but by
the _cultural history_ (in this case, Palestinian) experience of the
writer.  That the poet is female, invites a separate theoretical reading
which for me is an unnecessary diversion from the poetry.

DEPARTURE
by

May Sayigh - palestinian poet

In this moment of departure,
point your red arrows,
disarm the lightning, and open wide
the gate to my exile.
Close the sky's open face, and ride away.
I long so deeply that the shores unfold their seas
and horses bolt!
Now I'll carry the roads and palm trees in my suitcase,
I'll lock my tears in the evening's copybooks
and seal the seasons.

Let's begin our song: here is Beirut wearing you
like her own clothes.
You must sit well on the surface of her glory
abandoning tears
In her blue froth
She contains you like eternity
like the sense of beginning that comes with certainty

-How can you be dead, yet so absolutely present ?

Let the rivers abandon their skies,
and the seas dry out !
Everything in the universe has an end
except my spilt blood...

Each time I think of it
You remain as large as your death.
The war planes choose you, discover you, plant
their blackness in you.
From all those clouded last visions,
how will you begin the story of harvest?
We planes select you,
at the start of your sleep,
at the end of your sleep.
How often did the sky explode over you
with hatred?
How often were you taken aside?
How many massacres did you survive ?
Now you collect all the wounds, taking refuge with
death,
wearing dreams as wings.

Interestingly, a review of Darwish's first collection in exile, Uhibbuki
aw la Uhibbuki (I love you, I love you not, 1972)also picks up key terms
of "wounds" and "death".

"...words, pictures, memory, and dreams join those of wounds and death
as key terms in Darwish's poetic diction. In the working of dream and
memory the body of the beloved female blends imperceptibly with that of
the homeland until they become virtually indistinguishable."

Quote taken from Encyclopedia Of The Palestinians: Biography of Mahmoud
Darwish to be found at:

http://www.palestineremembered.com/Acre/al-Birwa/Story170.html

Information on May Sayigh can be found at:

http://www.sakakini.org/first.html

Regards

Maria Fletcher