For %$#&'s sake Christopher give it a rest.

> To which I'd add that poetry doesn't (always, or necessarily) _contain_
meaning. As I think you've also been implying.<

No I haven't. I posted a poem the other day, I take it you didn't read it.

>('David leaves [poetry] entirely
undefined. Nor does he characterise cultural transmission; merely property
and theft [..] Why not, instead of *poems*, an improvement on the mousetrap
or some newly branded beans?') I've been suggesting that poetry _eludes_ the
(rather easy) substitutions you've been making: intellectual property (in
the first case) and some sort of cognitive tool (in the second).<

As I haven't tried to define poetry it's unsurprising that I've left it
undefined.  As for the mousetraps and baked beans, they sound like a
collaboration between Agatha Christie and a soupless Andy Warhol. I'm sure
you know perfectly well what I meant by the hypothetical Sheila Ramsbottom
and I think your persistent sniping at this matter is deliberately intended
to provoke, rather than allow any interplay of ideas and discussion. I
haven't substituted the notion of 'some sort of cognitive tool' for poetry
as I haven't defined in detail what I'm thinking of in the context of poetic
language and modalities of intelligence, as I said, this is not the space
for such an exposition, so will you PLEASE stop putting words in my mouth.

Thank you and Finis.

David Bircumshaw

Leicester, England

Home Page