> People who light fires (they all seem to be individuals who get off
> on it) seem to have a very particular sickness.  I don't understand
> it.

There was a guy, a middle-aged man who drank all day, who used to live in
these flats but is now awaiting trial for a series of arson attacks
aroundabouts, who used to talk to me in the lobby or the lifts. He was
forever cracking off-colour jokes and would go to local churches pretending
to be homeless for free meals. All I could understand about him was that
'keep clear' signals flashed through my mind whenever he neared. What his
psychology was, is, I think only he knows.

While one of the most disquieting things I have seen recently was a
documentary on the ironically named Burnley Wood area of said town, a
district of almost Third World poverty where houses cannot sell for 5
thousand pounds. The principal pastime of the local kids is starting fires
both small and petty and full house burnings. There Guy Fawkes bonfires were
spectacular, and enthusiastic, but also involved the dismemberment of empty
houses as fuel.

Best

Dave

David Bircumshaw