Sorry to have been unclear in reference to the rebukes, anger, and
condescension generally directed at Josie's opinionation, Lawrence--didn't
mean to imply that your post specifically engaged in one or more of these
types of responses. On the contrary, it was admirably impersonal compared to
others, and I didn't disagree with your definitions of "devil's advocate,"
etc., as commonly understood. You did seem to be posting a reprimand
directed at a single listee for herself posting views you found distasteful
from any quarter, and that's condescending on its face, I think. But you
didn't display the anger that does personalize debate and is so destructive
of it, leading to inflammatory implications of anti-Semitism, for instance.
I was increasingly dismayed over the course of the day by such increasingly
inappropriate responses to Josie's expressed (if not personally held)
opinions--dialogue on Poetryetc seems to invariably founder on just such
ill-judged responses, I think. What I _don't_ think is that your posts
participate in this list _tendence_, so apologies for the
misunderstanding--Candice

on 1/25/02 7:13 AM, Lawrence Upton at [log in to unmask]