>This idea of politicising things is interesting, and puzzling. A lot of the
>agora has been developed by  private finance since Aristotle's time; but
>what is happening in US and in UK looks to me like an attempt at total
>depoliticisation

What little I know of Carl Schmitt, sometimes described and probably not
without justice as the Nazi theologian, suggests that the renewed
emphasis in recent times on the power of the sovereign to identify an
enemy and demand his death is precisely what Schmitt would have called
politicisation, where previously there was what he might have seen as
depoliticisation run rampant. The sovereign here is not the people; this
is not a democratic politics, but it makes a deeper claim on the people
than the ballot or than any civil process: it calls on them to kill, or
to support killing, and possibly (although this is not so much spoken
of) to be killed in turn - war against Iraq will undoubtedly cost
American lives, and this may include the lives of civilians.

Trying to carry on a democratic politics, a civilian politics, in the
midst of all of this requires a greater than usual obduracy. The
democrat must endure being portrayed, and not only portrayed but also
bullied, as irrelevent, impertinent, "bloodless" in affairs which are
destined to bloodyness. I wonder whether this is inevitable, however;
can't we have a democratic politics that is also prepared to hang
dictators (what ever will be done with Milosevic, in the end? I fear
they will not hang him from a lamp-post like Mussolini)? Can there be a
civilian imperative to take up arms and kill? "If I can shoot rabbits", etc.

Dominic