Liz wrote:

> is that sexism, of whatever kind, is part of a wider
> disease.

well yes - agreed.  And v imp to keep working on breaking the mould and
appropriating a confidence that doesn't come naturally........

Yes, Liz, in absolute agreement, and while saying that I'd like to emphasise
that I don't underestimate the prevalence of male sexism v. women, while I
was on holiday I was utterly horrified at myself on two occasions, once, in
conversation, I referred to a certain writer as 'a woman poet', what's the
distinction I immediately asked myself, while another time I mentioned a
guy's newly-wed wife as an 'it'. What was even worse that both she and he
laughed at the word.

Now I like to think I'm free of such prejudices, but that even a half-soaked
gentle twit like me can come out with such comments unconsciously is
worrying.

Best

Dave

David Bircumshaw