----- Original Message -----
From: "Henry Gould" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 21 June 2002 19:14

| You yourself are being bully-like, Lawrence.

In what PRECISE sense?
I would like an answer
I dispute that, unless opposing a USAmerican is now inherently being a bully

| If you have a right to make such remarks, other certainly have the right
| counterbalance them or oppose them without being called bullies.

I accuse Frederick of writing a non sequitur, not of bullying. Please don't
misrepresent me

On a discussion list I think there should be discussion not sloganising and
such I judge Frederick's remark to have been. It suggests to me he doesn't
have anything to say. Let him put a counter argument if he has one

| To romanticize your remarks as the "unofficial version" is a kind of
| propaganda.

But I didn't
 Please don't misrepresent me
dismissing anti-war sentiments as romantic seems to be a USAmerican cliche
an unofficial versiion only

 I note your clever Biblical
| quotations to the Buffalo list.

Not intended as clever
that's another dismissive cliche where a reasoned  argument would have been
welcome
Unanswerable perhaps

| No matter how Machiavellian the policy of Sharon - playing divide and
| conquer, setting up his own people as victim-pawns - the policy of Hamas &
| co. is just as evil if not more so.  Does this mean I support
| Sharon?  No.  It means I would look for a way out of conflict based on
| mediation, understanding & compromise, rather than painting one or the
| other antagonist as "the bad guys", like you do.

I didn't mention Hamas. Frederick did. It is, yawn, a non sequitur.

I did not paint anyone as "the bad guys". I did scoff  at the idea  of
explaining the murder which happened today as a mistake, which it  may have
been, when the important issue is why they were firing tank shells anywhere
near a civilian population

a civilian population of someone else's country which they have invaded