dave writes:

> Well, Martin, maybe the Owl and the Pussycat +does+ take a look at the
> worst. I'm not precluding humour, nor lightness of touch,

Well, Mibee not the Owl and the Pussycat, but surely "The Dong with the
Luminous Nose"?  Wasn't Lear one of the great tragic poets of the 19thC?
+Much+ more than that lame_brained Tenny's son.  Auden edited _The Oxford
Book of Light Verse_, which says something.

> I quite like
> Herrick at times for instance,

+Shame+ on you, dave.

> The saddest tales of all can be the funniest. To switch between genres, I
> love the humour in Russian novels, Dostoevsky to my mind is one of the
great
> comic writers.

Like the Crocodillo story?

Cheers,

Robin

("He used to be one of the singers ...")