<snip>
I'm convinced that the root of so much ire on so many lists is the
misinterpretation of e-messages. [Jesse Glass]
<snip>

Agreed. But I think there's something else - an archness, a use of modal
operators to adjust the apparent value of what is said - from which the List
rarely benefits.

That is

H (you're a shit) [an authorial heteronym says you're a shit]
J (you're a shit) [you're a shit, but I'm only joking]
T (you're a shit) [you're a shit in this text I've just made up]
etc

all tend to mean 'you're a shit'.

It's not that email lacks tone, as such; it's that tonal ambivalence is too
often used to avoid taking moral responsibility for what is meant.

My first and last words on this topic.

CW