Doug Barbour said,

>Kent...

>Hank, you, I, and many others, even Bernstein, ARE academics,
>(as well)...

Weell, Doug, I don't know. I teach at a decidedly rural community
college. I am an "Instructor" of remedial composition and Beginning
Spanish. That is what I teach. Research and publication is not only
not a priority, it is frowned upon. Frankly, I think one could say that
I am an Academic in the sense that a bricklayer is an Architect.

I don't dislike academics. Some of my best friends are
academics... And OK, OK, so I am, *in part* an academic, even if I
am of lower race. The point I was pointing to in that epigram (and
I've made this point more conventionally and expansively
elsewhere) is that it is foolish --as well as disingenuous-- to
continue to frame Language poetry as non or anti-academic.
Language poetry is academic poetry through and through and has
been becoming such with increasing insistence (that word is on
purpose) for the past number of years. Many of its old leading
figures have been building careers in academia; literary theorists
and journals are widely ga-ga over Language poetry; and creative
writing programs are increasingly staffed and studented by writers
whose poetics orbit the original = = = center. This last is a
complex phenomenon, of course, but undeniable-- the MacPoem or
I-centered poem is still rampant, obviously, and always will be, but
the "cool" creative writing students, of which there are legions, now
write "Language-like" poems.

Again, this is not a bad thing. But the poetry Silliman advocates is
no longer outside the academy, nor is its "poetics" marginalized, in
any fair sense of the word, inside the academy. This fact, as I said,
is not ipso facto bad. But it has certain implications, some of which
may not be good for the fullest possible health of poetic experiment.

Kent