>I went to hear Elaine Feinstein talk about her book on Monday
>at the Bath Literature Festival. Her new material for the book
>was Ted Hughes letters to his brother, covering the period with
>Plath's suicide etc. From the letters it appears that Plath and
>Hughes were getting back together at that time, which supports
>the recently released Keith Sagar letters. I must say that Ted
>Hughes will be lucky to have a dozen poems to survive in the
>canon, perhaps not even that. I have no time for the Ovid and
>contrary to Doug Barbour I feel that Birthday Letters was a late
>move in the right direction but limited in the amount of genuine
>poetry entailed.

okay, Doug, the two Dougs will continue to disagree.

I told one of my grad students about Briggflats the other day, & he went &
read it & sent me a note thanking me fo letting him know about one of the
great reading experiences he had had in some time. What will last? Well
none of us know, but I'd bet on Bunting over almost everyone else writing
during his lifetime in Britain... certainly over the ones the mainstream
media paid attention to...

Doug

Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 2E5
(h) [780] 436 3320      (b) [780] 492 0521
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/dbhome.htm

        Shakespeare
        Drag yr mouldy old bones
        Up these stairs & tell me